Why we're here...
Some of you have asked about the specifics of why we’re in Madrid doing an MBA at this particular school and how all that fits in with our plans and dreams. The ever-developing answers to those questions are more than I will write about in this space, but I invite you into the conversation with us.
The role of Christian business people in the marketplaces of our global communities is something that I started thinking more about at the end of college. It stewed in my mind in random meal time conversations, car rides, and especially in my best thinking spot – the shower. Half way through seminary, Monique and I decided it was time to start pursuing what we should do about some of the ideas, burdens, and convictions that were developing in our lives. We had known about the Fulbright scholarship to attend IE in Madrid for a couple years, since before going to seminary.
Applying for business school and then writing a proposal for Fulbright became excellent ways for us to put our dreams down on paper and to think about potential next steps. We viewed the application process and waiting period as steps of obedience that we needed to take in order to make greater faith possible. Getting the scholarship is an honor, but it clued us in that this is only the beginning of a new turn in our journey.
The goal of our first several weeks in Spain is to make a home here and adapt to culture before my school begins full throttle in November. If you want to know more about my school or the Fulbright program, click on the links to the left. To read a summarized portion of my Fulbright proposal - and a big portion of the answer to “why we’re here” question – read the next posting below.
I may be the one going to school, but you’ll notice we talk in terms of “we.” That is quite simply because Monique and I are committed to being in this together. We share many similar convictions, and God uses both of us individually to flavor those convictions and to bring life to new ideas. There is no way I would have even applied for the scholarship - much less received it - without Monique. Not even she knows how true that is. She has a quiet determination and strength that astounds me, and I am privileged to hear it get loud when it needs to be.
So, what are we doing here? I’ll be in class, studying and researching. Monique will continue to invest much of her time in Joshua; because raising our son is a responsibility we don’t want to hand off if we can help it. We’ve talked about part time work for her while in Madrid, but we’ll just have to see what options surface. Plus, she will be an excellent tour guide for those of you who decide to visit! We are excited about the chance to just live life – relationships, groceries, etc. - here in Madrid for the next 15 months.
The role of Christian business people in the marketplaces of our global communities is something that I started thinking more about at the end of college. It stewed in my mind in random meal time conversations, car rides, and especially in my best thinking spot – the shower. Half way through seminary, Monique and I decided it was time to start pursuing what we should do about some of the ideas, burdens, and convictions that were developing in our lives. We had known about the Fulbright scholarship to attend IE in Madrid for a couple years, since before going to seminary.
Applying for business school and then writing a proposal for Fulbright became excellent ways for us to put our dreams down on paper and to think about potential next steps. We viewed the application process and waiting period as steps of obedience that we needed to take in order to make greater faith possible. Getting the scholarship is an honor, but it clued us in that this is only the beginning of a new turn in our journey.
The goal of our first several weeks in Spain is to make a home here and adapt to culture before my school begins full throttle in November. If you want to know more about my school or the Fulbright program, click on the links to the left. To read a summarized portion of my Fulbright proposal - and a big portion of the answer to “why we’re here” question – read the next posting below.
I may be the one going to school, but you’ll notice we talk in terms of “we.” That is quite simply because Monique and I are committed to being in this together. We share many similar convictions, and God uses both of us individually to flavor those convictions and to bring life to new ideas. There is no way I would have even applied for the scholarship - much less received it - without Monique. Not even she knows how true that is. She has a quiet determination and strength that astounds me, and I am privileged to hear it get loud when it needs to be.
So, what are we doing here? I’ll be in class, studying and researching. Monique will continue to invest much of her time in Joshua; because raising our son is a responsibility we don’t want to hand off if we can help it. We’ve talked about part time work for her while in Madrid, but we’ll just have to see what options surface. Plus, she will be an excellent tour guide for those of you who decide to visit! We are excited about the chance to just live life – relationships, groceries, etc. - here in Madrid for the next 15 months.

1 Comments:
Micah glad to hear from you. Hope you and Tracey are doing well. We miss you guys.
monique, russ, and josh
Post a Comment
<< Home