Play Group

On Friday mornings, Josh and I go to a Mom and Toddlers play group that meets at the Anglican Church - about a 15 minutes bus ride from our place. There's a picture of the church on the left.
Josh really enjoys getting to paint and make crafts. Today he painted snow - in case you were wondering - and we also made little Christmas trees. He really likes painting and using his scissors.
Most of the mom's at the play group are from England, but I have met several from many other countries as well. It is so different for me to be around so many culturally diverse people. Most all speak at least 2 languages and it's very possible that their children speak at least 2 or 3 as well. For example, the lady who organizes the play group is from Slovakia. She's lived in Italy for awhile and then in England some. Her husband is Spanish and they've been here in Madrid for 5 years. So, she speaks 4 languages! I've never heard her Italian, but her Spanish and English are so good. Her two year old daughter speaks Slovakian and Spanish and can understand some English. That's just so crazy to me!
I met another Mom this morning from France who lived in England for awhile and moved to Madrid 2 years ago. Her husband is Spanish. She speaks 3 languages and this morning was telling me that she has decided to teach her almost two year old son his colors in English because "I think it will be easier for him to pronouse the words in English". Hmm - how nice to be able to choose in what language you want to teach your son his colors.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home